Saturday, October 20, 2012

Halloween Safety Tips

Chocolate – Of all candies, chocolate poses the biggest Halloween “threat” to dogs. Many dogs are attracted to the smell of chocolate, making it a significant threat for massive ingestion. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. Methylxanthines are the chemicals in chocolate that are dangerous to pets, and they are more concentrated in darker chocolates. A single ounce of Baker’s chocolate can make a 50-pound dog very sick. Milk chocolate and white chocolate are less dangerous, but should still be kept out of the reach of pets. If you think your dog may have ingested chocolate, signs to watch for include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate, and in severe cases, seizures. 

1 comment:

  1. To take care of the feline friends you love, by feeding the best food. VitaLife Healthy Dry Cat Food is proudly made in Canada and made with ingredients of the highest quality for complete and balanced nutrition. Offered in chicken or salmon formula, VitaLife dry cat food offers enhanced nutrition with protein-rich kibble and raw, freeze-dried bites of meat or fish.