Monday, April 25, 2011

Cats beware of Easter Lilies!

If you have cats it is best not to have Lilies in the house. Even eating a small portion of an Easter lily can cause kidney failure and death.  All parts of the lily can be toxic, and eating just a portion of one leaf can result in severe poisoning. After eating a portion of an Easter lily, a cat will generally vomit and become depressed within 2 hours. The vomiting may subside, but the cat will not eat and continue to become more depressed.
Please seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect lily ingestion. Prompt care can sometimes lesson the damage done by the toxin.